Tostadas are traditionally prepared with chicken or pork, but this vegan version is just as tasty. You can use just about any vegan protein you have (smoked tempeh, soy crumbles, vegan chorizo, crumbled veggie burger, etc).
Once the ingredients are prepped, the tostadas are really quick to put together. You can even lay out all the ingredients and have your guests prepare them according to their tastes! You’ll likely have a bit of crema left over, so serve along side the dish for those that like an extra dollop.
This dish is perfect for a hearty meal for one, a satisfying snack for 2, or as an appetizer for a crowd!
Ingredients (Makes 4-6 tostadas)
For the avocado crema
- 1/8 cup canned coconut milk
- 1/2 medium avocado
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1/8 tsp fine sea salt
For the tostadas
- 4-6 baked corn tortillas (you may toast your own, but I used packaged Guerrero brand caseras amarilla tostadas)
- 1/2 cup refried beans
- kernels from one full cob of corn (about 1/4 cup if using canned or frozen)
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped tomatoes (heirloom or multi-coloured cherry tomatoes are nice)
- 1/2 cup cooked vegan protein such as a crumbled veggie burger, vegan chorizo, smoked tofu, or tempeh
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh jalapeno (or more if desired)
To make the avocado crema, place all ingredients in a blender and pulse until smooth. Set aside. Divide refried beans and spread on each tostada. Top with corn, chopped tomatoes, green onions, crumbled protein, cilantro, and jalapeno. Immediately before serving, top with fresh crema.